Monday, March 2, 2009

Casualties of Analysis

The question here is should I throw darts or spagetti at life? Over-analysis of the infinite choices in life, though thoughtful and logical it can be, likely leads to delayed experience or inaction. But the wrong decision can lead me to a loop or dead-end. If my life is a $20 bill, what should I get on the menu? I could take the time to think it through, analyzing each item, each description, weighing value, nutrition, taste, and size. But in the end, shouldn't I just be going with my gut?

Fear of failure is a nonsensical fear to have, but ironically one that can be hidden under what can be perceived as wisdom or prudence. Think of the best moments in your life. How many of these moments were the product of careful thought and planning? How many were just a product of the randomness of the universe? Repeat these questions with the most important people you've met in your life. And the last question: what failures in your life have created permanent damage to you?

Our existence really only exists in the memory of others. Connections and thoughtful interactions between people are really the only thing that matters in the grand scheme of things. Why should I hold myself back from creating and maintaining connections and interactions between close friends, aquaintences, or strangers based on some fear that I will be wasting my time with one party verse another one that may be better, but may not even exist.

Potential aquaintences, potential friends, potential close friends, potential lovers, potential enemies. They are all casualties of my analyses. Damn.

No comments: